Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reality Time Check

We ended up just having breakfast together this morning instead of doing Bible study since all three of us are slackers and waited as long as possible to write our papers for Herr Dörr's class that we have tonight. I bought the bread this morning (we usually trade off bringing stuff to eat, works out really well!) and I got a sunflower seed bread for Maressa and I. She always gets that for herself when she buys bread and I thought I'd give it a try. Amazing! Wow. We also had a strawberry mango marmalade that added the perfect bit of sweetness.

I came home and read, played around online and stuff before starting on my paper at 11. I actually ended up finishing it in about an hour and then I went to meet Simone at 1 for lunch. While I was at home I got an email reminder about an AJY meeting that we had at 1:15, but I figured it would only last 20 minutes or so. Simone decided to go make copies while she waited and we decided we'd meet up there when I finished. Well the meeting ended up taking about an hour! We had to fill out all of this paperwork about un-enrolling from the University and confirmed which day we'd be leaving and all of that kind of stuff. How incredibly sad! I remember last semester when the fall students had to do all of that, but the full-year people were able to leave. And now today I was filling out those same papers in preparation for leaving Heidelberg. As much as I can't wait to be back at home, living on a "normal" schedule, so many parts of me don't want this to end. When I leave Heidelberg this time, it will be most likely for good. I mean, sure I'll come back to visit, but I will probably never live here ever again and that just makes me so sad. And when I do return, Maressa and Heidi won't be here to hang out with. They have made this experience just that much sweeter and it's going to be so strange not seeing them everyday. I cry as I think about not having them or Heidelberg as a part of my everyday life and all of the amazing experiences we have shared together over the last year. Wow.

Anyway, I was really concerned when I noticed that the meeting was taking much longer than I had anticipated and I had no way of contacting Simone. Heidi and Mayara were going to join us for lunch, so we walked over to the copy shop to see if Simone was still there, but of course she was not. We walked around a bit and then decided to see if she was at Marstall. We didn't see her there either and I felt really bad about standing her up like that. I thought I had her phone number on Skype so Heidi gave me her keys so that I could go call her from her room. But when I got there, I found out that I only had her Skype contact. Ugh! I walked back to Uniplatz and saw her out of the corner of my eye. Such a relief! I apologized and she told me that she had been trying to call me and decided to go ahead and eat since she hadn't seen me. But she ended up coming to Marstall to have a latte macchiato and I was able to give her the jelly belly's that I had bought for her while at home. She was really excited and I wished there was more I could give her since I had messed up so badly! I was the one who had asked her to hang out and then I basically ditched her. But everything worked out fine and we continued to talk and stuff after Mayara and Heidi left. We talked about her going grocery shopping later and what she was going to buy. I suggested chocolate, but she said that it's not good for you and that she checked on her weight the other day and was upset about it. So then when she was trying to think of what else she needed, I suggested rice and she said that rice, along with pasta and bread have way too many carbohydrates and that they're bad for you. Well I eat at least one of those things every day. Super. I'm only here for a bit more anyway, so I better enjoy all of this delicious bread/chocolate/etc. before I go leave! Before I go home I'm going to go to Karlsruhe to see where she's from and to see where her family lives. I'm so excited!!!

I went to hang out with Heidi and Mayara afterwards and we put the finishing touches on our papers before going to class with Maressa. Nobody had much energy during class and it was so evident. Herr Dörr even called Alexander out on it and said that we all have problems with focusing and being "Fit für Unterricht." I did get a 2 on my paper though, which was exciting! Just once I want to get a 1,5! Just once! Maybe next week!

I came home and had rice with vegetables for dinner while watching some of the EM game between France and Italy. Italy ended up winning 2-0 and of course Julia was happy. But Romania also played and by the sounds she was making in the common room, I'm pretty sure they lost. She had some friends over for dinner and asked if I wanted to join them, but they didn't start eating until after 10! Those Italians/Europeans!

No comments: