Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Met a PR Person!!

This morning in mediaculture a Chinese student made a presentation on Photography: use and misuse. Though I commend him for actually using powerpoint instead of just standing up in front of the class and talking for 30 minutes, I felt like he hardly discussed anything. He skimmed the surface of what could have been very interesting topics. And I understand that giving a presentation in another language is definitely hard, it was very difficult to understand him most of the time. But everyone thought his presentation was just so great. They couldn't even think of anything bad to say about it. Not that I was going to say anything bad aloud (we discuss the presentation afterwards with the person in the room), but I just felt like it could have been so much better. The professor did seem like he didn't think it was as good as the class did, but we are the ones who grade the presentations. Which is a great thing since I will be giving a presentation in a few weeks. It just makes me think that the expectations and standards are just set really low for presentations, which is so different than at Elon because we are constantly doing presentations in just about every class.

A girl in my class who was friends with Keith last semester asked me to buy a pin at Hard Rock Cafe in Edinburgh for her so we went back to her apartment after class so she could give me the money. She told me that two AJY students, Davor and Anna (from Elon) are dating! Unreal! I totally called it while we were in Jena, but Eric told me that I was basically crazy for thinking that. Anyway, when Audra and I were leaving her aparment (she lives next door to Heidi), Heidi walked out of her apartment! It was so weird being there when I wasn't actually with her. I kind of felt like I was cheating on her! We only got to talk for a few minutes because I was meeting up with Simone for lunch at 1.

Simone and I were going to eat at the Mensa, but the line was ridiculously long and it was packed outside, so she suggested that we go to Subway. We sat outside and had quite the show. This woman came up to us asking if we wanted to buy this paper she was selling and then just as she left our table, a police car pulled up and busted her. They checked her ID and all kinds of stuff. Then they made her go onto this other street so that they weren't blocking the Hauptstrasse. This other woman who was with the first woman came up and they checked her information too. It was just so interesting. The first woman was older and she looked really mad while the younger girl seemed really confident and was even laughing and joking with the police. They were still talking after we finished lunch, but I don't think they actually got arrested. We got eis afterward and ate it at Marstall. My head was throbbing and I didn't feel very well, so I kind of felt like I wasn't all that fun to talk to. And since I had only spoken English all weekend my German was a little rusty. Simone said she didn't even notice, but I just felt like it was so bad! She's actually going to be in Heidelberg on Friday so hopefully we'll get to hang out!

Then around 1 I headed off to my practicum. I started working on a powerpoint presentation for the library. A few weeks ago Mehdy (director of the library) and I discussed my ideas for a new program at the library. But he hasn't mentioned anything about it since. The whole reason that I was supposed to be working with the library was so that I could create a new program for them and then do the PR work involved. I just feel like I'm doing stupid grunt work (shelving books and doing tasks that the library employees doin't have time to do) instead of actually doing anything that relates to PR. But this guy named Stefan came downstairs and introduced himself in the late afternoon. He works upstairs in the PR department and gave me some ideas for the powerpoint. He was so nice (and really cute too!) and I'm hoping to be able to go work upstairs with him sometime in the future.

Davor, from AJY, was also working today and at one point I asked him if he knew whether or not there was a water fountain in DAI. He simply told me that there was a fountain outside. But I knew that he was talking about the really big fountain across the street and not somewhere I could fill up a water bottle. He seemed confused and I told him that I was looking for one like we have at home. And he says, "Oh! I completely forgot about those things!" haha I had also forgotten that they don't have public water fountains like that in Germany (or at least they're not very popular or common). Things like this have been happening a lot lately!

I didn't feel very good when I got home and thought that maybe I was hungry so I made some toast, but didn't end up eating it. I read through some emails and had gotten one from Maressa saying that she wanted to hang out later. So I took a little nap and then woke up when she and Heidi knocked on my window later. The nap definitely helped take away my headache. We talked and looked at some pictures from my weekend in Scotland before watching Head Over Heels. They didn't like it really, but I love that movie! Heidi fell asleep after the first 30 minutes or so and when we called her out on it, she said "I'm not sleeping, my eyes just aren't seeing very much." haha!

No comments: