Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Goodbye Scotland!

Jess and I got up at the crack of dawn this morning. We had planned on getting up at 5:45, but for some reason her alarm went off at 5:25. It was early, but all I remember is her saying that when you set the alarm you can't pick the exact time that you want it to go off. I didn't understand that then and I still don't, but I do remember having her turn on the light so that we'd be sure we didn't fall back asleep. We left her room around 6:15 and made it to the bus station a few minutes later. We said exhausted goodbyes, but weren't too sad because she's coming to Heidelberg in exactly 2 weeks! The bus ride to Edinburgh was a little more than an hour and a half and I tried to sleep, but wasn't too successful. I decided that my least favorite thing about Scotland is the busses and the fact that they're all ridiculously bumpy even when the roads are completely smooth. When I got to Edinburgh I walked down to the bridge where the airport bus was waiting. The bus was waiting for me, which was great for my tired self. This bus was just like the one I had taken at the beginning of my trip on Thursday and was really nice. I slept for the majority of the half-hour bus ride to the airport. I arrived too early to check in so I walked around for a few minutes and then got in the RyanAir line. I hardly even remember checking in, but then got some yogurt and an apple for breakfast. When I got to the gate I slept until they started boarding. Luckily I was one of the first in line (I purposely sat next to where the line starts...I know how to play this RyanAir game now!) and got a pretty good seat on the plane. Of course a very large woman sat down next to me and I felt slightly claustrophobic and warm throughout the flight, but was still able to sleep. I went through passport control and then grabbed a sandwich thinking the bus that I needed left at 2:30. But when I walked down the hill to the stop I realized that it left at 2. Five minutes late and the next bus didn't come until 4. The bad thing about that was that it didn't get to Heidelberg until 6:10 and I had class at 6. So I walked back up the hill and decided to take the bus to Frankfurt that left at 3. I had about an hour to wait so I sat on the steps and took a little nap.

The bus came right before 3 and was completely full. The last passenger to get on the bus sat with me. I was so close to having my own seat! I had kept my backpack with me so that I wouldn't have to wait for the bus driver to open the bus after we arrived, but ended up having to sit with it on my lap for the entire ride. At least I was able to sleep. The thing I didn't realize though was that the ride was just about 2 hours long. When we arrived in Frankfurt there was a car in the bus parking spot and the driver got SO mad. He didn't actually have to pull all the way forward, but he was such a jerk about it and wouldn't just let us off the bus. The guy in the car was also being really stubborn and wouldn't move. So the bus drive got out of the bus and started yelling at him. At that time I made my exit and got off and headed for the train station! Totally typical German moment. The bus got into Frankfurt later than I thought so I quickly bought a train ticket and then hopped on the train to Mannheim. It's final destination was Paris, but unfortunately I was getting off long before it arrived there. There was a train leaving for Mannheim just a few minutes after I arrived, but of course it ended up being delayed 20 minutes. Just enough time to make me late for my class. So instead of waiting I got on another train that ended up being really slow and didn't get in to Heidelberg until 6:15 or so. I had to wait about 5 minutes for a bus and then finally made it to Uniplatz around 6:35 or so. I still had to print my paper and I felt bad going to class so late. I knew the class would be getting out early so I just waited about 15 minutes and then went in and talked to Herr Doerr. I felt so bad for missing his class, especially since I had all of the intentions of making it. It didn't count against me since we're allowed 2 absences, but I still feel awful about missing classes at AJY.

Frau Heckmann had bought everyone in her class tickets to the opera for that night so I had to run home and change before 7:30. I had about 15 minutes and then ran back to the theater by my house to listen to a synopsis from the director. My head was really hurting and I was sneezing and such like crazy. I did get to sit next to Maressa so that was great. She and Heidi had gone to Bayern for the weekend and seemed to have had a great time. I can't wait until July when the three of us will go there for the Jack Johnson concert! At the intermission I told Frau Heckmann that I wasn't feeling very well. After she walked away, Maressa said that I should go home since it probably wasn't going to get over before 11 and that Frau Heckmann knew that I was sick. I felt bad leaving, but I was also so happy to finally be getting home and going to bed! I quickly made some rice and then collapsed. That was seriously the busiest/craziest day of travel in my life! And while I of course miss Jess, it was SO great to be back in my own bed and to have my own space again.

Overall, I really enjoyed Scotland. I also had great company! I really don't support their taste in cuisine (Haggis and black pudding to be exact), but it was a really beautiful country. The people weren't really all that nice, but as Jess said, we experienced quite an interesting mix of people that she had never experienced before. The whole time I was there I felt like I was at my Gram's house. It even smelled the same outside! I guess the whole beach thing was what made me feel that way, but it was such a cool/strange feeling! I'd definitely go back, but I think it'd have to be sunny!

No comments: