Monday, May 12, 2008

Anstruther

Last night at dinner Jessica’s friend Chrissy told us about this café that has amazing hot chocolate for a reduced price in the morning. Of course we had to check it out! So around 8:30 we left her room and headed off to try this delicious treat. Delicious was definitely an understatement! It was called “The Button” because on top of the colorful marshmallows and whipped cream are Cadbury button chocolates. Amazing.

Jessica had class at 10 so we walked a little before and when she went to the “maths” building I went back to her room to work on my paper. She returned to her room within about 20 minutes and thought that since she couldn’t see me sitting at her desk through the window that I had instead gone back to bed. So she came up and yelled in the window “do your work!” but of course I was just sitting on her bed and writing my paper! She read for while I finished up my incredibly exciting paper on globalization and then she went upstairs for lunch. She was so great and smuggled me back a whole sandwich! I really felt like a little refugee or that I was hiding out because of all the food she had to steal and sneak downstairs for me.

A little after lunch we met up with Marian and Katie for our trip to Anstruther. We took a really bumpy bus that made me feel sick to a town called Crail. We took about a two-hour walk along the coastal path and saw all kinds of “wildlife” on the way. There were little (and really big) pigs, sheep and cows to keep us entertained. We even came across a really cool cave that is clearly used for bonfires and parties. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed our leisurely (pronounced lesurly in Scotland) walk to the town with the “best fish and chips.” We were all pretty tired and hungry once we got there and it was so nice to finally sit down. The fish and chips were ok, but nothing compared to Aunt Linda and Uncle Ron’s Bowpicker specialty! We had ice cream afterwards and then waited for the bus to take us back to St. Andrews. Such a great afternoon!

Jess’ friends and I get along really well, especially Katie and I. We had a lot of fun talking and I think we’d definitely be friends back at home. Too bad she lives in New York!

We spent the rest of the evening talking to Caitlyn on Skype, watching a movie, napping and just hanging out. I can’t believe that my stay in Scotland is already over. I feel like I just got here!

No comments: