Sunday, May 11, 2008

Church and Rain in St. Andrews

Jessica smuggled some more butter and marmalade for me this morning from the dining hall. I had bought a roll the other day at the grocery store and was able to eat that for breakfast. She also got me a banana! What a great friend...saying that she HATES bananas would be an understatement. We got ready for church and then met up with her friends Grace, Sarah and Katie. The service was very formal and we did a LOT of standing up and sitting down. The layout of the church was very interesting because the pews faced each other. That made it a little awkward because if you were just staring forward it seemed as if you were looking at the people sitting across from you. The music at the end of the service was very strange and sounded slightly cryptic. I felt like a vampire was going to come up and suck my blood or something. Definitely gave us something to laugh about!

Katie, Jess and I walked down to the pier after church and it was really windy. The beauty of everything made up for the wind and the cold though. We had to walk on a relatively small concrete pier. I was so afraid that I was going to lose my balance and fall to my fate on the rocks. But no worries. That didn't happen! We ran into a guy who was wearing his St. Andrews robe and asked if we'd take his picture. Jess wanted a picture like that too so we borrowed his robe and had a little photo shoot. Her mother will be very happy!

When we got I ate the quiche that I bought at the store and Jess ate the leftovers from dinner the other night. I had never had quiche before, but it was really good. We were going to watch a movie, but Jess was exhausted and took a nap while I worked on my paper on whether globalization is a curse or blessing. I think I wrote about 6 sentences before passing out on her desk. My arms hurt after awhile so I grabbed my shirt to use as a pillow and then had the brilliant idea of actually grabbing a real pillow! I probably slept there for at least a half an hour and then finished my nap on the bed. It was kind of nice to just relax and be bums for the afternoon. We hung out and talked for awhile and then headed out for dinner.

We met up with Katie and her friend Chrissy and went to a place called The Rule for dinner. Jess and I split nachoes and then a spcicy chicken panini...delicious! They also had hot drinks for 99p and I was so excited to see that they had macchiato! Katie and Chrissy ordered hot chocolate while Jess got a mocha. She felt so grown up! All of their cups were SO big and then they brought mine out in a teeny tiny espresso cup! I had ordered macchiato instead of a latte macchiato! BIG mistake and WAY too strong for me. So Jess went and got me a mocha and all was good in the world.

When we came home we talked to Brittanie on Skype for awhile. It felt like it had been forever since we had talked so it was really great to see/talk to her again. Then I called my mom and wished her a happy mother's day and got to talk to dad and Derek as well. I tried to call my grandmas, but neither of them answered their phones. Jess and I watched Center Stage a little while later and thought it was quite 90's-ish. Good times nonetheless.

No comments: