Tuesday, May 20, 2008

So Much Clearer!!

After Bible study and finishing the rest of my paper this morning, Heidi and I went to Schiller for coffee. My second time there in two days!! And this was also my third coffe beverage today!! She's been having a hard time with missing her mom lately and I hope she felt better after laying it all out there. She thinks it's crazy that after nine months she still cries about it and is still sad. I told her that in no way is it crazy and that it's completely normal and understandable that it still upsets her. She's such an amazing girl and I'm so thankful for her everyday.

I went to DAI (my internship) and worked some more on my presentation. I also got a library card so now I can check out books and movies and stuff for free! So cool! I got a few books to bring to the library on Friday and hope that the kids will like them.

Herr Doerr's class was kind of brutal tonight. He expects so much from our class since nearly all of us are full-years. He wants our papers to be more complex and says that our problems are more stylistic instead of grammatical. By the end of class we were all just completely done and didn't want to hear any more.

AJY hosted an event tonight that I had hoped would interest me a lot. A former AJY student was coming to speak about her career in broadcast while also using German. Right up my alley! AJY also bought subway for us so we ate that as we sat around and talked...in English! Insane! We were allowed to speak English in AJY! Even Dr. Tracy was speaking English. I think I've only heard him speak in English about 2 times since August. This lady was so much more helpful than I could have imagined. Even though I don't really want to pursue a career in broadcasting, she was able to offer a lot of insight into the general field of communications and her experiences living and working abroad. After the informal event ended, I asked for her card and she gave me the last one she had! We ended up talking for about a half an hour more and I learned more about her internship with Voice of America and how she was able to do it in January for winter term. She really cleared up a lot of things for me and kind of gave me some confidence and reassurance for after graduation. I had been wondering lately what kind of job I would pursue, if I would be able to use both German and my interest in communications and what kind of opportunities exist. So, so happy that I came to this event!!!

I was a little frustrated though because only 7 people showed up. 7 out of like 24. AJY bought food and everything, but still, people couldn't take one hour to just come and listen to this woman talk. But the thing that really made me angry was that after it was over, Davor, Maressa and Dan came back and hung around until Dr. Tracy left. Alexander and a few other guys were to buy some beer for them (they didn't go to the event, but instead went out for a drink...) and these three were in charge of the food. They weren't going to buy food. No. They came back to AJY specifically to take the sandwiches that had been bought FOR THE EVENT. But not a single one of them were there. I was so disappointed in them and cannot believe how disrespectful that was. And what hurts even more is that Maressa is one of my best friends. I understand it for Davor and Dan, but not her. Even if they had planned on eating them there, that would have been fine. But instead they took about 12 sandwiches and left maybe 6 at AJY. It's the whole principle of it all that really bothers me I think. Ahhh! This probably shouldn't get to me so much, but wow. It really does!

No comments: