Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dan's Birthday Celebration

The presentation in class was pretty good today. The girls spoke very good English and were really clear in their speaking. They had way too may slides on their powerpoint, but I think that was the only negative thing! They had a hard topic (something with image and gaze), but I think they covered it well.

Simone and I were meeting for lunch at one and when I arrived she was talking to this girl named Callie who I had class with last semester and who is also in my class that was this morning. She is a nice girl, but she drives me insane!!! She just talks and talks in class, but never really has anything to say and pretty much just laughs through what she’s saying so nobody can understand her. She’s from Oregon and at first last semester I was really excited about that, but then quickly decided that I wouldn’t be hanging out with her. Simone’s friend has a class with her and she ran into Simone as she was on her way home and suggested that Callie eat lunch with us. Callie had brought her lunch so she got a table while Simone and I got our food. I hardly talked at all during lunch and as Simone and I were going for coffee later (after Callie went to class) I had to tell Simone that Callie drives me crazy. Simone felt SO bad and couldn’t believe what she had done. Really, I didn’t think it was a big deal, especially since she had no clue! But she felt so bad and ended up buying my coffee and apologized about a million times. I kind of felt bad for saying anything about it, but knew that I had to or she might start joining us regularly for lunch.

When Simone left for the train station (she was going home to Karlsruhe for the weekend like always) I went and sat with Maressa and Heidi who I had seen earlier. I went to my practicum a little while later and finished my powerpoint and helped with story time. Next week I am definitely going to ask about working in PR because I’ve finished my project and might as well ask before starting a new task. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

I went to Bible study at Heidi’s at 6:30, which was really nice. I’m usually never able to go, but finally today I went. A girl from Maressa and Heidi’s grammar class came too and I found out that she is from Temecula, where the Jones live! I had told her that later in the summer I would be going to San Diego (after she told me she was from California) and she said that she lives about an hour away in a town called Temecula. Of course I freaked out and was really excited to hear that. How cool!

Tonight I was also able to talk to Maressa about what had bothered me last night. She said she could understand why and that I should have just told her that it bothered me...but I did tell her that. I wasn't actually mad at her, just the principle of the situation. But it's all cleared up now! No hard feelings!

Heidi, Maressa and I then headed over to Ringstrasse to celebrate Dan’s birthday. Becca and Kayla had made him a cake that was really good. They were doing peppermint patty shots so Maressa and I tried too. So good! The peppermint part tastes a little like Listerine, but apparently in the US it’s better. We hung out there for awhile as the boys exchanged youtube videos. We had wanted to go to a bar called the Brass Monkey, but it was really full since Manchester and Chelsie were playing. So some of us went to Vetters and sat outside for a beer. A lot of the bars were really full so Heidi, Peter, Jeff and I decided to take a walk along the old bridge and then sit by the water and talk for awhile. We had a lot of fun and there were more “that’s what she said” jokes than imaginable. It was weird that after we left Vetters we didn't really see Dan. He had walked Maressa home and then decided not to go out with everyone else. Understandable though since I don't think he really wanted to go out in the first place. The four of us went home around 1:15, but it was definitely a night well spent!

No comments: