Thursday, May 22, 2008

A "Holiday" Spent in Ketsch!

We had Bible study this morning and then Heidi and I surprised Maressa at work. We both had Käsespätzle and enjoyed it very slowly. There was a man singing around the corner and he had the most amazing range ever. His voice sounded like a woman’s most of the time, but it was so beautiful! He was making some serious money because just about every person who walked by dropped something in his jar. There were also some guys who put a business card in and then stood there for over an hour and would talk to him when he took breaks. Heidi was completely enthralled and we stood there for awhile before running an errand for Maressa.

I showered and took a really quick nap before hopping on a bus to Ketsch. Katharina invited me for dinner and to hang out and I was so excited, but really tired. But I was able to sleep on the bus so it was all good! She rearranged her room once again and also got a new couch. Surprisingly it was not from Ikea like every other thing she owns! For dinner we had a wonderful salad, some kind of meat that had been breaded with sesame seeds on top, white asparagus with sauce and potatoes. Then we had stracitella ice cream, strawberries and pineapple for dessert. So good and we were so full! A little while later Melanie Müller from the Mooresville exchange came over and it was great seeing her since we haven’t talked or anything since 2004. She started speaking English when she got there and then Katharina told her that today was German Day (Monday was English day!) and she asked if she should speak slowly and we told her she could just talk normal. Katharina said “she understands everything!” and that made me feel so great. Meli was so surprised that I could understand so much and that I could speak really well too. How exciting! We watched Germany’s Next Top Model and it lasted for at least two hours and probably only had about 4 or 5 commercials. That’s what I love about German TV. There aren’t commercials every 2 minutes!! We also played with the Guinea Pigs (Foxy and Tiffy) for awhile. Foxy is always so shy and hides in her little house. They’re so sweet! Katha’s mom brought us some snacks and Apfelsaftschorle and even though we weren’t hungry, we ate almost all of it! By the end of the night I was totally stuffed.

Katha and Meli drove me home around 11:30 and I was exhausted when I got home. It was so much fun just hanging out with Katharina watching TV and stuff. It kind of felt like I was staying with her all over again, except that this time I could actually understand what they were saying on TV.

No comments: