Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sleepover at Michael & Susanna's

I slept in a little bit today and then headed off to Marstall to get some stuff done. I brought water, a sandwich and a few snacks with me and therefore didn’t have to worry about buying lunch or anything to drink. Heidi and Maressa have been reading these books about Vampires and Warewolves (Twilight Series) and they talk about ti all the time. Even though I haven’t read the books, I feel like I know so much about them and while I was sitting outside, I saw a guy sitting at a table a few away from mine who looked like a Vampire. I’m probably going to cave into their pressure to read these books before long. They say that they’re not stupid, but actually really good. I had to laugh as I thought there thinking this guy was a vampire! Awhile after his friend left, he came over and asked me a question in really fast/mumbled German. I asked him to repeat himself, and I still didn’t understand so I told him that my German wasn’t very good. He just wanted me to watch his stuff while he went and did something. After he asked me in English, I was able to put together what he said in German, but man! He was hard to understand! Right before he came back, I got a text from Heidi saying that she and Susanna were ready to grab coffee or lunch. So when my little vampire friend came back I packed up and went to AJY.

Awhile later, Susannah, Michael, Heidi, Brooke and I walked back down to Marstall and even got to meet some of the new summer students. They don’t have the requirement of having at least taken two levels of college German (or 222), so some have just started learning the language. They’re study center is in Neunheimer Feld and they all live with host families. Pretty cool! But it’s not nearly as language-based and they just take classes that the program offers them. After we got something to eat or drink, we were sitting at a table talking and I thought I saw someone I recognized from Elon. A few days ago when I found out that the summer kids would be coming soon, I brushed off the idea that any Elon students would be coming. But I knew that I recognized this guy so I went over and asked him if he goes to Elon…and he does! His name is Jack and he was also in ICLP. He just started learning German, but seems really excited to be here. I thought it was funny that he asked me if the Mineral water (with carbonation) ever started tasting any better and I told him that my best advice would be to mix it with apple juice or really any kind of juice like the Germans do. He said he was excited to try it! I hope we run into each other again. I can’t wait to see what he thinks of my beautiful town!!

Michael was leading the students on a tour through the old city, so Susanna, Heidi and I just stayed outside and talked for a few hours. We learned all about how Michael and Susanna met and they’re just so cute! They were penpals and then Michael came here to study and they met up and within a few weeks, they were dating! I always forget that they’re only 4 or 5 years older than us. Heidi and I went home to get our stuff since we were invited to go over to their house to cook dinner and spend the night and then we met up with Michael and took the three busses/strassenbahns that it takes for them to get home. They are vegans so they don’t eat eggs and other animal products (for the MOST part). Susanna and I made peanut butter chocolate chip vegan cookies while Heidi worked on homework and Michael napped. They actually turned out really good! Susanna is very precise and since the recipe said that it made 24 cookies, she measured the dough exactly to make sure that we made 24 even-sized cookies. Oh man. We had fun talking as we baked and I got to brag about all of the yummy things my mommy makes. We were originally going to have some kind of potatoes for dinner, but Susanna came up with an idea that we should go out to dinner for Kochkaese. Michael didn’t want to go out so he suggested we just cook it from home and then Susanna and I went to the grocery store to get a few ingredients. Michael and I ended up cooking the dinner and it was super easy. I got the recipe from them, so I’m hoping to make it again...maybe next week when Jess and Brittanie are here. The dinner was SO filling and we were just stuffed as we eat some strawberries with sugar and condensed milk. WoW.

We watched a movie with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant after dinner and I liked it a lot. I can’t remember the name though! It was one of those kinds of movies where you have to figure out who the good/bag guys are. We went to bed shortly after and Heidi and I stayed up talking for awhile. I’m so glad that we came over today and got to hang out with them. They’re so generous and caring!

No comments: