Friday, May 16, 2008

Maid of Honor!

After Bible study and meeting with Dr. Tracy this morning, Heidi and I went to Aldi to buy some groceries. I feel so grown up going to buy groceries! It's different than when I'm at Elon because at least there I have the option of using meal plan/meal dollars when I want to eat. But here I have to buy a variety of things to eat for an entire week. The stop for the S-Bahn is in the middle of the street so as we waited for it to come we had a little picnic! We must have looked so funny just standing there with our grocery bags and having a snack.

At 1 I went to the Kindergarten to read to the kids. I hadn't been there since December and it was sooo great to be back. Before going I thought about just telling them that I wouldn't be able to come anymore. But after I got there and received a very warm welcome from one of the girls, I decided that I really did want to keep coming back. It's only for an hour each Friday and I really enjoy reading to the kids. I brought about 6 books from the US to give them and the kids requested that I read every one of them. I only knew three of the kids who were there, but there were a lot of new really cute kids. Before I started reading the girl in charge asked the kids to clean up since I was going to read to them. This one boy, Nathan from Portland, said to this other kid, "she's a really good reader." haha How cute! So they were all really excited to see what books I brought and I read all of them, except Black Beauty because it was really long and didn't have very many pictures. Since there are a ton of new books in English at the DAI library, I'm going to check a few out each week and then bring them to the Kindergarten to read. That way they are introduced to new books and don't have to listen to the same ones over and over again.

I had planned on getting coffee with Heidi/working on some homework at a cafe after going to the kindergarten, but since it was sunny again and NOT rainy, I decided to sit outside instead. So after calling her and sending some emails, I went over to Marstall and worked on some stuff. I love that you can sit outside Marstall without buying anything. A few hours later Heidi came walking through and sat down with me for awhile. We talked and then finished what we were working on before going to AJY. We ran into Maressa who was energetic and cute as can be. Tonight Simone and I had planned on going to see Maid of Honor (Verliebt in die Braut) so earlier I emailed Maressa, Heidi and Justine to see if they wanted to come too. But they had already made plans to go on a hike or something with John. Too bad.

So around 7:30 Simone and I met up outside of the theater and then went to get some candy before it started. We had a lot of fun just talking and then also really enjoyed the movie. She LOVES Patrick Dempsey and Grey's Anatomy so I knew she'd be the perfect person to see this movie with. I understood so much of the movie and it was really exciting. It's cool to fully understand movies that aren't for children!

There was some big party on the street that I usually take to get home, so I had to walk a street down instead. There were these huge torch things and then really fancy looking people everywhere. I had seen them setting up for this all day and it was interesting to see how it all ended up. Earlier in the day they let people walk through to the other side of the street and without even thinking I asked the guy if it was ok for me to walk there. A few minutes later I realized that I just opened my mouth and German came out without having to even plan out what I was going to say. Such a small thing of excitement, but exciting nonetheless!

When I was talking to Matthias I told thim that we had gone to see a chick flick. He had no clue what that was so I got to explain it to him in German. Pretty cool. And now he loves that term. And I also taught Simone the phrase "few and far between" when we were talking about the lack of guys in the movie theater. She's going to try to work it into her vocabulary!

No comments: