Friday, September 14, 2007

Finally Friday

I got a pretty good night's sleep last night, but was still sort of tired this morning. We had two class periods of grammar and then a quiz at the end of the second class. I was a little nervous for the quiz, but it turned out to be ok. I'm hoping that I understood everything correctly and that I did it right! I hate that feeling of taking a test and thinking it went well and then getting it back and missing a bunch of things. Let's hope that isn't the case!!

After class Heidi and I were going to come back to my apartment so she could load her pictures on my computer. Her computer died before she came to Germany, so she couldn't bring it with her. On our way, I wanted to stop at this place called Ginos and get something for lunch. I always see people eating there and think it looks so good! So I got this taco-like thing and it was really yummy. She got something too and we walked back to my apartment eating and talking along the way. I really love hanging out with her. She's so genuine and I'm happy that I've found a great friend here. We just laughed and talked while the pictures were uploading. She's going to Köln (Cologne) today to visit an old friend.

Since I wasn't able to get all of the groceries I wanted when I went yesterday, I went out after Heidi left. I just love the days when I don't have anything going on and I can really take my time. I went into H&M first to look around. I thought about trying things on, but remembered that I needed to get water (the bottles are huge so it's heavy when you have 6 of them!) Debbie Bishop sent me a few of my favorite summer recipes so I'm going to try to make something with avocados, tomatoes and fresh mozarella. I'll let you know how it turns out! Hopefully it will be good, but I guess we'll see!

Something I really love about the German (maybe it's European) culture is how trustworthy they are. You can walk into a store with a backpack without them even thinking that you're trying to steal something. When you go grocery shopping, you can put things in your bag to carry around the store and then take them out when you pay. Then you can put them back in your backpack to take home. In America that just wouldn't fly. I really like this whole concept of not getting a million bags when you go to the store. But I don't like how you have to go every few days. i'm sure I will adjust to that soon and figure out some sort of plan.

Another thing that I'm not so sure about is the fact that people usually drink warm drinks. Like right now for instance, I'm drinking Peach Ice Tea that has not been in the fridge. Usually I like all of my drinks to be cold, but it really hasn't even bothered me yet. I noticed that on the train the other day. Everyone always carrys around a drink, but rarely is it ever cold.

So after I got back from the store I cleaned a bit and started ANOTHER load of laundry. I had to wash towels and I wasn't sure if the ones I had gotten from AJY would bleed onto my other clothes. I had a white towel in the mix that is now a bit blue, so that answered my question! Whew! Glad I waited until today to wash them! It's nice having everything clean now. I feel like I have more options and am starting a'new!

Keith asked me to go with him to turn in some papers for insurance so we did that also. I almost feel like he's my brother, but we hang out more than Derek and I do (sadly). So I really like hanging out with him. I just chilled for awhile when we got back and then Julia whipped up a little rice with carrots. I thought it tasted great, but she wasn't so sure. Granted, it did look a little like pourage! I had bought a mike's hard lemonade-like drink at the store today so I had that with dinner. I'm not so sure about it. I've noticed that I get really hot when I drink alcohol (tonight was only the 2nd time!) and I really don't like that. I even had a little bit of a headache. I probably have no tolerance against alcohol, but I still don't think we'll be seeing a lot of each other!

Awhile after dinner Keith and I tried to go see a movie. He wanted to see The Bourne Ultimatum. I knew the movie would be in German, but he was convinced that it hadn't been out long enough for it to be dubbed. It was in German and he didn't want to see it because he didn't think he'd be able to understand it. So we opted for a walk instead. A cheper option! We didn't walk too far because of his ankle, but we did stop at a coffe place and I got an iced chai. LOVE that. Love, love, love it!

No comments: