Saturday, September 15, 2007

Today Was My First...

Bored day.

I woke up around 10:30 and just messed around on my computer for awhile. Some people in my program had talked about going to this thing called Wine Fest later today, so I was hoping to hear something about when we were going. Keith asked if I would go out shopping with him so I showered and got ready. We had our first bottle returning experience and also learned that unless you stand really close to the person in front of you in line, someone will try to cut in front of you. Keith was standing in line to check out and this little old lady with a walker did just that! We couldn't believe it! After a few minutes she changed her mind and went to the other line, but it was still so strange. I had noticed that people stand really close to me in line and it drives me INSANE. I'm thinking Germans don't need as much personal space as we do.

On the rest of our shopping adventure we also returned something for the first time. Keith had bought an exercise ball (that was pink by the way) but it turned out to be too small. But we were able to return it and then went and looked at all of the fun toys in the store. The Jones kids would be IN HEAVEN. There were so many Playmobil toys that it was unreal! Huge boxes and some were marked way down. We also found the game section and they had games like Guess Who?, Operation, Taboo, The Game of Life and sooo many other good ones! They were all in German of course and most had German names. I really like Taboo and almost bought it, but then remembered that if I took it home with me, nobody would be able to play! Maybe I'll go back and buy it though. I could always take it to German club and play it here until I leave. We'll see. Heidelberg Monopoly is something that I will definitely be buying, though! I just think it's so cool that they have that!

We also stopped in another sports store to look for an excercise ball. I was hoping they would only have pink again, but he found a blue one. Bummer. The store was similar to Dick's Sporting Goods, except they didn't have a golf section, so my mom can't work there! We also stopped at an electronics store. Derek and Keith have a ton in common. While we were looking for an extension cord, he found the speaker section and was checking all of that stuff out. This is only one reason of MANY that they would get along really well. Keith is obsessed with this 4,000 Euro watch so of course we had to stop and look at it. I'm not gonna lie, it is pretty nice. But 4,000 Euros?! WoW! He said I could buy it for him for his birthday. Considering I only got a cup of hot chocolate, I don't think that's going to work out in his favor.

On the way to our last stop, a bakery, we saw this many selling canvases that he had painted of Heidelberg. They were so beautiful. I saw this one that wasn't too big (yes dad, larger than 8.5x11 but smaller than a football field!) and it was in black and white. The picture was painted from across the river and showed the river, part of the Altstadt (old city, where I live) and then the castle in the mountain. BEAUTIFUL. It was 70 Euro so I decided to wait.

When we got home we made lunch that was delicious. I had bought fresh mozarella for a recipe Debbie Bishop gave me so I used some of that and cut up two little tomoatoes. At the bakery I bought a Baguettebroetchen (a baby baguette) so I toasted that and then put the cheese and tomatoes on it. Declicious. I think I could eat that everyday! All I needed was a little fresh basil and it would have been perfect!

Dad and I talked on Skype for a little while after lunch. It was so nice to hear his voice and talk to someone from home. When I talk to people on Skype, it makes it seem like I'm not so far away because it's all in real time! It's like I'm just at Elon talking to him on my cell phone. I forgot to mention that on Thursday I received my first package! It was so exciting! My mom sent a few things I had forgotten and then also included some pictures. Getting mail here is really exciting because at AJY there is a little mail center and we each have our own mail slot. Everyone can see when you have mail so they all get excited too. So if you want to send me somehthing, I'm not opposed to the idea! (My address is on my first post in August!)

I was hoping to hear something from a girl in my program about going to Wine Fest. I had sent her a message, but never heard anything. I was pretty bummed. I really wanted to go and she was the only one I knew of who knew what was going on. She sent me a message later saying she forgot she had a phone (she did just get one on Friday) and that she forgot to check it. Then she asked if I wanted to go up to the castle with her and I wrote back saying yes, but she never responded! How frustrating!! I am not a fan of things like that.

After awhile of just bumming around I decided to do something about my boredom. I went out for a walk and in search of dish towels and ground pepper. We only have one dish towel which means we have to wash it a lot. So I found two nice ones that were on sale. The only ground pepper I could find cost 17 Euros because it came with a grinder. We couuld use a grinder, but I am not paying that much for it. I will have to check out the grocery store to see what they have. I stopped by and looked at the painting again and seriously considered buying it. But I did not. If it's there another day, then maybe, but I'm sure I will see more things of that sort.

About an hour after I got back Keith and I decided to have dinner. He made a cheeseburger and I made some pasta thing that had already been partially cooked. Last time he tried to make a burger he didn't realize that he had bought sausage beef. So when he ate his burger, it was a taste he wasn't expecting. This time, he bought the right stuff (after asking me, of course!) I also cut up an apple and had a roll. The pasta that I had was Maultaschen. I was supposed to eat it with soup, but didn't find the right soup to eat it with. I didn't eat it all, so I might still try to look for some! The rest of the night was spent talking online with Jessica and Pearl. I didn't feel very well and went to bed around 9:30. My head has just been hurting since Friday night and now my throat is starting to hurt as well. I hope I don't get sick!

1 comment:

pearl said...

Are you sure you need that board game . . .