Friday, November 23, 2007

Rainy, but lovely Friday

After working on my AJY paper some more, I headed over to the Kindergarten. I can't say how cute I think these kids are! Each time I go they talk to me even more and continue to get sweeter and sweeter. After brushing teeth and building caves (their FAVORITE thing to do) I took a group of about seven into another room to read stories. Among the kids were Sophie, Chiara, Sidney, Lukas, Xi, Jackson and a girl whose name I can't pronounce! I sat down on one of the mats and crossed my legs in front of me. I think it's so funny how they all want to sit on my lap or very close to me. Three of them sat right down on my legs. That made it really hard to show the pictures to the other kids so I had them get off. Sophie had to lay down on the other mat and after every page she would say "Ich kann gar nichts sehen!" over and over again (I can't see anything!). So I would show her the pictures and she would smile and then say it again in about two minutes, even if I hadn't finished reading. After reading we painted. There were two paintbrushes per color and they were supposed to only put the blue back in the blue jar and not dip them in other colors. Not once did they put the paintbrush in the wrong jar! I was so amazed! These are some disciplined kids! Sidney, his sister and I played a game afterwards that was like a matching game. Nina wanted to play too, but she was too young to understand the object. She is just too sweet and speaks English and Spanish. She is my newest friend! I ended up staying for nearly two hours today. One of the other teachers came in to where we were painting and complained to Andrea (one of the main teachers) saying that she was fed up with having to work so much. She wanted to know why some of the other teachers weren't coming in and that she wanted to start seeing more money if she was going to be putting in more time. It was SO awkward for me. I had wanted to leave right before she came in, but then felt like I had to stay for a little while longer. Just a strange situation!

A little later I went to AJY to see if Heidi or anyone else was there. She was just on her way to visit me so we decided to go to a little cafe and read/write our papers. I took her to a place that I had been to with Simone called Vivo. Great atmosphere and we had it to ourselves for most of the time! We mostly talked and looked at pictures and such. Eric and his friend came in for a drink too! Out of all of the cafes in Heidelberg, it was so random that they came to the one we were at! We chatted for a few minutes, but then went back to working on our stuff. At around 6 the waitress turned down the lights and changed the music. It was so romantic! We stayed for a little while longer and then headed back to AJY where nearly everyone else from the group was. They were all going out to dinner and after some hesitation, I joined them. I didn't really want to go out to dinner, but I wanted to hang out with all of them. Heidi stayed back at AJY and said she'd be there or at her apartment when we were done.

I got some kind of potato dish with an egg on top. It was pretty good, but really filling. It was fun talking and hanging out with others again. Patrick and I talked a lot about Elon and how he's going to go home for Christmas to surpise his mom. Too cute! They were all going over to Patrick's (Wartburg) afterwards, but Maressa and I went back to AJY to see what Heidi was up to. She wasn't there, so we went to her apartment, but she wasn't there either. We were a little concerned so Maressa sent her a text message. We went back to AJY and played Sudoku online for awhile. We never heard from Heidi so we went back out to see if she was at her place. Nope. Sarah Mulvaney let us use her phone and finally Heidi answered. She was at some cafe. It was kind of a strange situation and Maressa and I were legitimately worried about her and where she was.

We all played Sudoku for awhile and couldn't figure it out! There were four of us working on it, but nothing! We were there until the lock guy came. Maressa had told Patrick and the others that she'd stop by the Wartburg so she went there and Heidi and I went to my place. Maressa came over about 20 minutes later and we talked for awhile and then watched 'Along Came Polly.' Such a cute movie! We were going to watch another movie, so Maressa ran home and got some chocolate and other sweets for us to munch on. She lives kind of far away, but made it back so quickly! We actually didn't watch another movie, but just talked until about 4 AM!!! We were exhausted at that point and called it a night.

No comments: