Monday, November 12, 2007

Last Day in London

Caitlyn and I really wanted to go on a tour of the BBC this morning, but when we called the rude lady told us that there was no way we were getting in. We had to book our tour at least two days in advance. Big bummer there. So we had to decided what we wanted to do in the time that we had left. We chose to go to Fleet Street and check out some things there. It was a place Caitlyn had been wanting to go and I wanted to help her cross some more things off her London to do list! Fleet Street was also a big place for journalism stuff, so clearly I wanted to go too!

For breakfast Caitlyn made us a really yummy egg and cheese bagel. Great start to the day! After I got all of my stuff packed up, we headed out. I bought another travel ticket for the day since you can't go anywhere without using transportation and it quickly pays for itself. Since she has been in London, Caitlyn and her friends have been trying to take one of the posters that line the escalators in the tube stations. We saw one today and I ripped it off the wall! Then we ran back down the escalator! Totally not something I would do, but it was so fun! It was really dirty from being in the station, but we wiped it off once we got on our train. It was a Sound of Music poster. Even though she had to carry it around all day, Caitlyn was pretty excited!

We saw St. Paul's Cathedral on our way to Fleet Street. What a huge church! It's expensive to go inside, so we didn't. But it's cool to think that Princess Diana got married there. The financial district was neat to see as well. Everyone just looked so professional! We stopped at Saint Bride's Church for a look inside. It is also known as the Wedding Cake church because of it's steeple that looks like a wedding cake! That's actually what the first real wedding cake as we know them was designed after! It is also known as the Journalist's church. Each pew is dedicated to a different journalist who lost his/her life while covering the news. What a special place. We really enjoyed walking around and reading/looking at everything.

Our time was running short so we hopped on a bus that would take us to Primark, Caitlyn's super cheap and favorite clothing store. The first bus we got on was an old school double-decker. But for some reason the line ended and we had to get on another bus. I only bought a few things at Primark since I didn't have a whole lot of space in my bag. Two super cute sweaters for 3 pounds! And six pairs of socks for 2! So cool!

I stopped and got a sandwich on our way back to Caitlyn's apartment. We found a credit card on the ground and luckily there were two police women walking down the street. We ran to catch up with them, but it was their first day and took down ALL of Caitlyn's information so they could contact her when it was claimed. Cute that they wanted to make sure they did everything right! When we got back to Caitlyn's we had to move fast in order to get to the train station in time for my bus. I made it and slept the entire way. I also slept the whole time on the plane and got to sit in the first row that had a lot of leg room. Perfect! I got in later than I had thought I would and then hopped on the bus back to Heidelberg. Luckily there were busses running that could take me back to my place.

Today was my dad's birthday so I called him up on Skype to surprise him. I put money on Skype a few weeks ago and was able to call him directly on his cell phone! He was so excited! We talked for a little while and then I crashed! What an exhausting weekend! I had such a great time in London. I could go back there hundreds of times! There's so much more that I want to see and do!

No comments: