Thursday, October 25, 2007

Unexpectedly LONG Class!

I went back to the 11:15 literature class this morning. Not remembering if we had homework or not, I read over the handout we got last week and made sure I understood all of the other poems. But today we split up into groups and played a little "game." We had to put this poem into the right order. My group got the last sentence right, but only one of the groups in the class figured out that the whole thing rhymed...which made putting it together a lot easier.

I've been meaing to write about a funny little thing they do at the end of classes here. When the teacher finishes class, everyone knocks on the tables. I feel like we're in some kind of barbaric place when that is done! Not that we clap for our teachers when class is over in the States, but I guess it would be like that...if we did that! It catches me off guard every time!

After class I came home and saw that I had an email from Dr. Tracy. He was letting us know that there were spaces still available in the German Film class and he really recommended going. It was in 45 minutes in a building I had never been to across the river, so i went to AJY to see if anyone else was going. I got lunch at Gino's again on the way. So yummy. Eric had a different class there that started at the same time so we walked over together. Patrick and Doug were also in this class. Right before class started Patrick told me that the class was worth 3 credits. Normall classes are only two credits so I asked him why this one was worth more. He proceeded to tell me that the class is 3 HOURS LONG. So that was a big surprise. I was supposed to meet with Dr. Tracy at 4 about my classes, but the class went until 5 so I missed my meeting! But he's the one who recommended going, so I knew it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I really enjoyed this class, despite the length! We watched a few little movies including some Charlie Chaplin stuff and also a few Lumiere films. We also learned about flip books and that they are called "Daumenspiel," which is literally a thumb game! Love that!

Speaking of Daumen (thumbs) the Germans don't cross their fingers for good luck, but instead do something that looks like an "M" in sign language! It's called "Daumen drücken." So sort of cross your thumbs! Simone taught me that last week. Crossing your fingers here is a bad thing. It means the same thing as it does in the US when you do it behind your back. Since I learned this, I've noticed that I cross my fingers for a lot of things and have to be concious about doing it the "German way!"

I made rice and vegetables again for dinner. Anna and I talked for a little while in the kitchen too. I'm glad she's also interested in getting to know me. She laughs all the time and always has something to say. After I finished dinner she asked if I wanted to watch TV with her! Yay! We watched a German soap opera for young people that comes on every night. That's what I'm talking about! A show that comes on every day! Of course there was lots of drama that Anna had to explain and I understood it in German! Then we watched a show called Popstars. It was such a copy of American Idol. Anna has never heard of American Idol so she thinks that this is just a German show. There were three judges and everything! Two guys and a girl who sat in the middle. One guy was black and the other was mean. I was surprised that she had never heard of American Idol, especially since they know who Kelly Clarkson and some of the other idols are. Strange. I'm soo happy that we got to watch TV together. I really understood a lot of it too.

I talked to Brittanie on Skype for about an hour and half too. Jessica came and talked for about 20 mintues at the end. She has poison ivy right now so I've gotten to see just how bad it has been spreading. Poor thing! I think I could talk to Brittanie and Jessica forever on Skype. I mean, I'd rather be there in person, but for now, this is a pretty cool option.

Today was Katie Wolfe's birthday so she called to see if I wanted to come out for dessert with some other people int he program. I mostly talked to Maressa and John Love, but it was fun to hang out with a bunch of people. Again, I just love it when we get together and hang out!! I ordered Apple Streudel and it was delicious. It came with a little bit of vanilla ice cream that was also quite fabulous. Maressa, Heidi and Katie all came over and watched two episodes of Friends before going home. I like spontaneous days like today! Never know where they're going to lead!

No comments: