Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I LOVE Ryanair!!!

This morning I had another 9:15 class. I actually got up when my alarm went off so that I would have more time to get ready. Heidi and Maressa had planned on stopping by my room on their way to class since we found out we had all chosen the same one! Maressa knocked on my door and then Heidi shortly later. With Heidi were Katie Wolfe and Davor. It felt like we were little kids walking to school together. So fun.

I absolutely LOVE living where I do. It's SO close to all of my classes! Both buildings are on my street and are no more than a 7 minute walk. Super fabulous. Of the 11 students in the class, 8 were from AJY! The class is for pronunciation. How cool that we already knew each other? It definitely makes it a lot less nervewrecking to answer questions or read aloud. Our teacher is really cool. She seems pretty intense, but it's so clear that she just wants to help you improve your speaking skills. She had everyone go around the room and read a paragraph or so. She would tell us things about our German that she noticed for expample if we read too fast, said vowels wrong, rolled our r's too much, etc. When we came to students who spoke languages other than English, she had the class guess where they were from. She could tell instantly, which was pretty cool. I'm really excited about this class!!!

After class we all walked back to AJY. Anna and I really needed TP so I picked some up as well as tissues and paper towels. I think it's so nice that they have all of that stuff there for us. I'm sure we have pretty much already paid for it, but it just makes it so convenient.

I still had to do some reading for class tonight so I went back home and ate a late breakfast and tried to read. I talked to Julia a little bit more about her job. She said that even though they say you can pick your schedule, you pretty much have no choice about when you work. Sounds like pretty much any low-paid job. Even though it's totally not what she wants to do with her life, it'll be a great way for her to make some money! Even though it's McDonald's, I still think it's pretty cool that she actually went ahead and got a job here. At that, she got a job where she has to talk to people and be sure she understands what is going on. A good life experience, but I will not be applying any time soon.

I got a little knock on my window a little later and it was Heidi! She is obsessed with going to cafes for coffee and I told her that I really want to go with her and try drinking coffe things. She asked if I would go to her favorite cafe with her so we could finish our reading for class! Anna stopped in to talk as well and we asked if she wanted to join. Then I realized it would probably be pretty awkward if we were just sitting there reading so I told her that we would also be doing homework. She decided that she would just come another time.

The cafe was by Bismarckplatz. Heidi alwasy orders a Latte Macchiato so I figured I might as well have the same! At first I did not like it. Too bitter! So I added a little sugar and the more I drank, the better it tasted! I did a little reading and Heidi worked on something else. We mostly just talked though! I just absolutely love spending time with her!!! It was so strange being away from her so much last week! I have no clue how long we were there. It didn't matter and it felt like we had all the time in the world! We stooped at the coolest school supply store. They have bascially everything you could ever need to organize school/office stuff. LOVE it. Heidi bought a little card and then we both went home to finish reading since we really hadn't done much in that department at the cafe!

I finished the introduction that we were supposed to read. By the way, this book is liek 600+ pages in German and it's about the five different Germany's of the past 100 years. It seems to be interesting, but just takes awhile to read! Frau Heckmann was in the US for the past two weeks and just go back to Heidelberg this afternoon. I didn't finish the reading since I figured the first day wouldn't be too intense. I also booked a flight to London for 12 Euros!!! That is the price for ROUNDTRIP! Since I don't have class on Mondays or Fridays, I will leave on Thursday, November 8 and return on Monday, November 12. I didn't really want to travel that weekend since I will be in Greece the weekend before, but it was pretty much the only one that worked for Caitlyn, and I most definitely want to visit London! And for 12 Euros, I think I can handle it!!!

A little before 6 I headed to AJY. I had actually missed Frau Heckmann! I just really like her and the classes she teaches. She gave us copies of the first two chapters in English. That will be super helpful to clarify what I have already read. The class only lasted for about an hour...thankfully! It's every Tuesday from 6-9 PM! Holy cow!!! Too bad we can't just split it up and have two 90 minute sessions twice a week. But I'm going to get 3 credits from it, so it's totally worth it!

After class Maressa, Heidi and I decided to meet up a little later to watch FRIENDS. Heidi and I were walking back to my place to get popcorn when we saw Sarah Hale. I'm so happy that she wanted to come too because I really like hanging out with her. She's so original and a lot of fun. We watched an entire DVD (6 episodes) and then called it a night. I'm happy that I don't have class tomorrow morning and can get caught up with the million things I have to do!

No comments: