Thursday, September 20, 2007

Last Day of Class for the Week!

Since the crepes were so easy to make last night, I decided I'd make them again this morning! Katie let me have a cup of flour last night and I was able to whip them up really quickly. I asked Keith if he wanted to have some too. Who can turn down crepes? We hardly saw each other yesterday so it was nice to catch up. We just tood in the kitchen and ate them. We talked a litle bit about Julia and how she's such a control freak. Whenever we cook, she always tells us how we should be doing things differently. This morning when I was cooking, she picked up the pan and said "No, you should do it like this." I told her that I had made them last night and knew what I was doing, in a nice way. This morning I ate my crepes with Nutella and Keith with butter and cinnamon. GREAT start to the day!

None of us were looking forward to having two periods of grammar today. The first one went pretty quickly though and when it was my turn to answer questions, I got them all right! During our break Katie Wachter bought some kind of tomato sauce bread thing, but didn't like it. I tried it and liked it so she gave it to me. It needed to be warmed up a little, bit it tasted fine cold. And it was free! In the second period Frau Heckmann read us this really long story/article and we had to listen and take notes about what she said. Then she gave us a two-sided test that we had to complete. The reading was about siblings and I think I understood it, but it was really hard to answer the questions. We weren't allowed to use a dictionary and I didn't know so of the words. I don't think it was actually for a grade, but that exercise was a practice fot the DSH.

I was going to just come home and have tomato soup for lunch, but Katie Wachter asked if I wanted to go to the Mensa (dining hall) with her. I hadn't been there yet so it sounded pretty good! We have these student cards and we had to put money on them before getting our food. It was pretty much just like having a meal plan! Except not. There were some pretty good choices. It was funny because we wouldn't have half of that stuff at a dining hall at Elon. There was spƤtzle, schnitzel and other German dishes. I got salad and a few other things. It was all so new to me I wasn't really sure what I should get! Instead of charging a flat rate for a meal, you put your plate on a little scale and that determines the price. Pretty cool! A lot of AJY students ended up eating there too so we sat with them. I hadn't really talked to Katie much in the past week or so because we've both been pretty busy.

When we finished lunch, Katie and I went to the Uni-shop aka Campus Store because we both really wanted to get Heidelberg University Sweatshirts. I got a gray one and love it! I love new sweatshirts because they're sooo soft! Since we're going to be in the mountains some this weekend it will be cold at night. So the sweatshirt is totally practical! They also had car decals from Uni-Heidelberg and I think I might have to get one of those before I leave!

Charis offered to cook dinner for Heidi, Maressa and I tonight. She made Indian food completely from scratch. It was cool because we got to see where she lives and just hang out without having to worry about doing homework. She lives with four other German girls. Every semester an AJY student lives in their apartment and on their chore chart it has everyone's names and then AJY. It was Charis' turn to do the dishes and there were a lot of them, so we all helped out a little. The food she made was really good, but incredibly spicy. She made something that you pour on the food to cool it down, but it didn't help too much! One of her German roommates at dinner with us and it was a lot of fun talking with her. We talked in both English and German. My favorite thing she said was "This food is bloody hot!" Too cute! After dinner we hung out in Charis' room and talked and listened to music. She had some candles so we lit them and it was so peaceful! Loved it!!

I think we came home around 11. I had a Skype date with Jessica that night and got to talk to her for about an hour. Erika stopped by and said hi, but she was cooking dinner so she couldn't talk too long. They had the BEST idea though! They asked if I wanted to eat dinner with them! So they put the computer at the head of the table and then all ate the dinner that Erika cooked! It was like I was really eating in my apartment with them (except it was late here and I didn't eat anything)! Brittanie also came to dinner and Spencer stopped by. It was the best Skype conversation ever!! After dinner everyone had to go to meetings and stuff, but Erika was available to talk! I think we ended up talking for about an hour! Alison came back from work and we got to talk briefly. We finally got off Skype around 3:30 my time. Super late, but totally 1000% worth it!!

No comments: