Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cake From Scratch!

I slept in this morning and just hung out before going to my internship at one. It was much cooler out today and it was just waiting to pour. Thankfully it didn't start until after I got to DAI, but despite the change in temperature, it was still uncomfortably warm and humid in there. I think I did about three things while I was there and they probably took up maybe an hour. I was so bored. I went to class afterward and was slightly entertained as we heard music from Wise Guys, Herbert Groenemeyer and Wir Sind Helden. Next Thursday is our exam and I'm feeling both relaxed and nervous about it.

Penny Markt was my next stop and I got the ingredients I needed for my cake and frosting. I also bought some coke and ice cream for a coke float. Mmmm! Of course after I unloaded all of my stuff in the kitchen to start baking, Matthias came in to get stuff ready for his dinner. I knew he'd want to sit there and talk to me, so I decided to wait until he finished dinner and watching the news before I got started. I chilled with a coke float and when I thought he was done I went out to the kitchen. After I started getting set up again, he came back in the kitchen and started drinking or eating something else. He's just super awkward and stood there drinking his juice behind me. I really feel like he's a little boy a lot of the time. I ended up having enough batter to make two cakes and while the first was baking I started making the frosting. The cake was called a 1,2,3,4 cake due to the ingredients...one cup of this, two of that, etc. And the frosting was some kind of whipped yumminess. I loved follow all of the specific directions since I had never made these things before. The batter for the cake tasted really good and I was relieved by that. I think I was in the kitchen for about three hours and was hot and tired by the end. I really love baking/cooking though and can't wait to get home to do some more of that! I talked to Anna for awhile while I was cleaning up and she told me that Julia is now in Italy for a few days. I told her that I hoped she would be in a better mood now that Julio had been here. I guess we can only hope. Then she showed me this video from her friend who was on that TV show I mentioned in April. It was so sweet and she really had no idea about any of it. Later Matthias and I were talking about the fourth of July and how we celebrate it at home. We also talked about patriotism and Anna joined the conversation and somehow the national anthem came up and I said that we didn't sing it a lot at school, but that we always said the pledge of allegiance. Matthias was very interested and had me say it slowly so that he could understand the words. After that he was off to practice his trumpet for the second time today because tomorrow he is performing a piece for his father. He is celebrating something, but I'm not sure what. Doing laundry kept me up later than I had planned...tomorrow I have a lot going on and really need to get a lot of homework done by Sunday. My goal is to finish my paper for Frau Heckmann, start my paper for Dr. Tracy and then also finish my paper for mediaculture. We'll see how that goes!

No comments: