Thursday, April 17, 2008

Running Around and Leaving for LONDON!

This morning I wrote my first paper for Herr Dörr. We had to write a newspaper article with suggestions for students studying in Germany for the first time. One of my suggestions was that you should be careful when you eat at the Mensa because they weigh the food you get. Therefore, you shouldn't get too much scnitzel or potatoes! Another was that it would be really helpful to find a German friend who you can meet weekly with for coffee and cake. Coffee and cake or Kaffee und Kuchen is such a German thing and they love going to cafes. I support that!

After I got all packed up I quickly made some lunch and then headed off to my 4 o'clock class. His computer didn't connect again today so it wasn't all that exciting. We heard a presentation about an Austrian singer named Christina Stürmer and also about Xavier Naidoo who is from Mannheim. We even got to listen to a few songs from each of them. After class I went home, got my backpack and then went to AJY to print out my paper and boarding passes. I wish that I could check in online, but since i don't have a European issued ID, I'm not allowed to do so. I hopped on the bus at Uniplatz and when I got to Bismarckplatz I quckly ran over to where the busses for the airport are. They had changed the schedule since last semester and it said that the last bus left at 5:20. No way! There are flights that fly out way later than that! I was so confused. So I went inside and asked the information desk if there were any trains going to Karlsruhe. I made a huge mistake and asked her in English and she was incredibly rude and unhelpful. I could have done it in German, but I was just in such a frenzy I freaked out a little bit. So I knew what I had to do. I sucked it up and got a taxi. Luckily the man was very willing to drive there (I think it's about an hour and a half away). Mom and Dad, when you read this don't freak out! It's what I had to do!!! But then man and I spoke German the whole time and he was very friendly. Before I even got in his taxi I told him that I needed to get some money out of an ATM. He said I could just do that at the airport when we arrived. I was about 10 Euros short of what I owed him and said that I could just give him what I had and that I didn't need to worry about the rest. How nice!!! It actually wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it was going to be. But I learned a lesson. Check and then double check the signs to make sure you know exactly when the bus leaves!

I started the book P.S. I Love You while I was at the airport and then read it on the plane as well. The trip was super short and I was on the bus at Stansted before I knew it. For some reason in London you have to give them all of this information about what you're doing there and how long you're staying as you go through passport controll. I love having an American passport because I don't have to wait in the super long European passports line. Instead I have to go to "other" passports. Works for me because that line is usually really short!!! I grabbed a mozarella and avocado sandwich before getting on the bus and it was pretty good. Really reminded me of how much I love avocados!

The worst culture shock I've ever had always happens in London. I just can't get over the fact that they drive on the other side of the street. I sat there on the bus and just cringed every time we made a turn. I could've sworn that we were going to hit a light pole or a person or SOMETHING! It's just so FOREIGN to me and I'm definitely not a fan.

I got off the bus at Victoria station where Laura and Jess said they'd meet me. Last time I came, Caitlyn was sitting there reading a book and waiting for me. But Jess and Laura were nowhere to be found. And honestly, I was really scared. It was about 11:30 and there weren't too many people around. So I stood at the top of the stairs and walked up and down for awhile. I walked to the other side of the station to see if they were over there, but it was even more deserted so I came back to where I thought we were meeting. I thought I saw them a few different times, but it of course wasn't them. A little after 12 I look down the sidewalk and hear them saying "Is that Alison??" It was them! I was so relieved! I ran over and hugged them and then we headed off to find a bus to take us to Laura's flat. We got a little lost (Laura had only been to Victoria station once and it was really late so she didn't exactly know where to go). But we eventually found the bus we needed and a little while later made it to her flat. Hers was totally different than Caitlyn's...especially since she only had 3 other roommates. They had a little upstairs area where their kitchen and living room was. Really cute! I had some bread with peanut butter and we talked for awhile. We stayed up pretty late and finally crashed around 2 or so.

Meeting up with friends in foreign countries is one of my favorite things! Especially when they live there! It's so cool to see where they live and what they do. It's also great to see friends that I usually see everyday, but haven't seen in a long time. LOVE IT!

No comments: