Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Reunions are the BEST!

Slept in a bit today and then did some intense emailing. Not even halfway done yet, though. Many more to send tomorrow. I also figured out the classes I need to take for next semester. Looks like 3 Comm. classes and then Intro. to Marketing. That just leaves three classes for the Spring, but then I'll be able to take something else that's interesting or have an open spot in case I forgot something! One of my favorite things about studying abroad is that we get to register for classes early. Oh how I love that! It really helps because then I get the times and teachers I want. And then that means I may be able to get first priority for 2nd semester since there are two classes I absolutely have to have then. Ohhh how great life is!

I stopped by AJY this morning to meet with Dr. Tracy since I missed the group meeting yesterday. I also got my money back for the movie we saw last night. Heidi and I then decided we'd get some coffee later in the afternoon around 4. I stopped by Gino's and got a taco thing on my way home since I'm still not able to use our kitchen to cook. Should be done by tomorrow I hope!

I talked to mom for awhile and that was really nice. I am just in love with Skype and how easy it is to talk to people. I don't know what I would have done if I had studied abroad 10 years ago! Probably wouldn't have Internet in my room, that's for sure! And definitely not wireless!

Later in the afternoon I talked to Matthias for awhile. He talks really fast and uses some German words that I don't know, but I love it that we only speak German. He seems really interested in talking to me, which is cool. Julia doesn't like him and hardly gives him the time of day. She thinks he's weird. He does come off a little dorky, but I might as well get to know him if we're going to live together and share a fridge! He told me that he was born in Berlin and then asked if I took any photos while I was there. So I showed them to him and he really enjoyed it. I had to laugh because he said that he also had a lot of photos on his computers and that he would like to show them to me sometime. I suggested maybe later tonight or tomorrow and he said "or maybe on Sunday?" Umm sure! haha Not too sure what he's got going on in the next few days, but apparently Sunday is good for him!

I met up with Heidi at AJY around 4 and then we went to her new favorite cafe. She is always on the lookout for new ones. This one is called Cafe Schiller and is super quaint and tucked away. There are only a few tables inside but they have all kinds of neat drinks that are super cheap. They have a huge section on their menu with chocolate drinks. We saw some people order one where they are given some kind of white beverage...most likely milk...and then they have a chocolate stick thing that they add to it. I'm so getting that next time! This place is the cheapest I've seen so far. Well, aside from Marstall Cafe which is where the dining hall place is. But at that cafe you can smoke so you come out smelling gross. So I'm thinking I can definitely spend 40 cents more and come out un-smelly! Anyway, Heidi and I spent almost the whole time talking in German and telling each other stories from when I was gone. I was understanding things well, but had some trouble in the speaking department. Some days are just better than others when it comes to my German. I got a latte macchiato. Yummy! I haven't had one of those since I was here in December, so it was so exciting to have it again. It was a bit strong so I added quite a bit of sugar. But I needed to readjust myself to coffee since we've taken such a long break from one another. Heidi is now really into drinking straight black coffee. The coffee that this place serves is incredibly dark and bitter. Like it left a ring of brown on the glass as she drank it and even left some dirt-looking pieces when she was done. I took a sip and was disgusted. It will be a long time before I drink anything like that. She enjoyed my facial expression and later asked if I wanted to try it again. I kindly told her that I wouldn't be drinking any more of her mud. Blah!

We went back to her apartment afterward and checked emails and such. Then we headed over to see Charis. She isn't studying with AJY this semester because she finished in February and is now doing an internship here. She was sick the past few days so she didn't go to work. That worked out well for us because then we were able to go visit her! It was a total surprise and it was so good to see her again. We just picked up from where we left off. Reunions are really great in my book...definitely better than saying goodbye! So happy that she's still here and we can hang out! We left around 8:30 and then I stopped by Penny Markt on my way home.

I also got to talk to Laura tonight on Skype. Amazingly, we hadn't talked since she left for London in February. Jessica and Liesl are going to visit her in a few weeks and I may have to join them. Hopefully it will all work out!

No comments: