Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I'm Baaaaaack!

I cannot believe that I'm actually going BACK to Germany for 2nd semester. I really do feel so lucky and am incredibly excited to live in Heidelberg for another few months.

This morning my mom and I finished packing my carry-on and other bags. I swear I'm taking way more than I initially did! But the small suitcase was full of gifts and other random things that I won't be bringing back with me so I think it's ok. And since I'm coming back for Derek's graduation in June I will be able to take a bunch of stuff home then. My flight wasn't until 4:30 so we had some time to just hang out a little in the morning and I could take my time getting ready, etc. I wanted to buy and print a train ticket for when I got to Frankfurt, but of course the Internet wasn't working. We hadn't had any problems with it for weeks but the time I really need it, nothing. Boo. So I had to drop some stuff off to Wendy at Scrap Shack and figured I would try to buy the ticket on a computer there. But it was so complicated and I was a little stressed at the time and it was going to take a lot longer to do than I had thought...It would have helped if I remembered my username and password! I just decided to get the ticket at the airport when i arrived and said goodbye for the millionth time. Since it was April Fool's Day, Wendy said she thought I had come in to say "Just kidding! I'm not leaving!" But of course that wasn't the case. Before we even got to the Shack I started crying a little. I just can't believe that over three months have gone by since I left Germany. And two of those months were spent at home. The time went so fast! Of course I am ready to go back, but it doesn't feel like it's time yet.

Mom and I stopped and ate lunch at Red Robin on the way. Sooo yummy! We shared a wrap and then headed on our way to the airport. My bags were pretty heavy, but didn't exceed to limit, so that was great. The day before we found out that the new one free checked bag rule doesn't apply to international flights and you can still check two bags for free. Whew! I went to the bathroom before I went through security and mom watched my stuff. Of course it was on the other side of the check-in place. Then mom and I said goodbye. I'm really only going to be gone for a few months and we know how fast those months went by before, but I still cried. I just REALLY hate saying goodbye. It makes me so sad! We got to keep talking as I waited in line and then it was time to lose the shoes and the jacket. It took me a little while to put everything back in my backpack only to realize that I would want to have my laptop out on the plane, so I took it all back out and carried my computer. I waved bye to mom and headed to my gate. I couldn't help but cry! I sat at the gate for a few minutes before heading to the bathroom to change into my pajamas. You've gotta be comfortable for an eight hour+ trip, right? And yes, I did get some stares as I walked back to my gate, but I know they were all thinking that I had the right idea...with my pink snowman pants! After grabbing a few snacks I sat at the gate for awhile just wanting to fall asleep. But I didn't and we ended up having to switch gates. It was like a herd of wild animals walking through the terminal. Luckily I was at the front and got a seat right away. But then I saw an electrical outlet and thought I could plug my computer in for awhile and at least send some emails while I waited. But the plug didn't work so I just sat there on the floor until they started calling my flight. It was a little over an hour delayed because we had to switch planes due to electric problems. At least they figured that out before we got on the plane! I was in the last zone and was one of the last to board the plane, but my seat was near the front, which I always love.

My neighbor sat down next to me a few minutes later and we started talking right away. He was German and had been vacationing in the US for a month. We only spoke English even though I told him that I study and speak German. I was just too tired to think in another language! Awhile after we took off he asked if I wanted to see the pictures from his trip. The TV screens (everyone had one on the seat in front of them!) weren't working and they had to keep resetting the system, so I figured I might as well take a look. He actually had really cool pictures and stories from California and Colorado. Dinner came and then awhile later he finished showing me his pictures. I really think he showed me every single picture he took over the last month. His English was pretty good, but I just loved one thing he always said. Instead of saying they walked up or down a hill he would say "we went upstairs/downstairs." Too funny! I really like the accent that Germans have when speaking English. So after that it was my turn to "provide the entertainment" (his words) so I showed him pictures from last semester. So in about an hour we took a trip around the world. The TVs were working again after I finished with my pictures so we watched some movies. I watched The Hearbreak Kid with Ben Stiller. It was ok. Not the best, but ok. I wanted sooo badly to fall asleep during or after the movie, but I just couldn't. I was really uncomfortable because there was little room between the seats to begin with, and then the lady in front of me put her seat back. So my knees were scrunched up against her chair. There was also some kind of box under her seat so I couldn't stretch my feet out. I sat there with my eyes closed trying to fall asleep until they brought breakfast which consisted of a log-like donut. I wasn't too hungry or interested, so I continued to try and sleep. We eventually landed and I was so happy, but my lower back was really sore. At the passport check they asked if I was there for military reasons. Not quite.

They have free luggage carts at the Frankfurt airport so I grabbed one that was sitting off to the side. After I put my luggage on it, I found out that it was broken and wouldn't drive straight...only in circles, which clearly did no good. So I unloaded everything and then found a working cart. My next mission was finding the train station. I waited in line to buy my train ticket when I noticed that the guy in front of me was having trouble buying his ticket. I knew he spoke English of what I saw on the screen so I asked him if he needed some help. So I told him what he should select and then he got his ticket. I have no clue where he was from, but I know English wasn't his first language. I got my ticket and then realized that it didn't say which platform I needed to go to or what time my train arrived. So I went to the information desk and they gave me all the answers. I got rid of the cart and headed on my way. Let me tell you. It was FUN taking two suitcases and a big backpack up two escalators and then back down two others. Then I get to the platform and am a little confused so I used the information calling thing to find out when the train was coming. I actually missed the original train that I was going to take so I had to wait about a half an hour. I cried a little because I already missed my parents and wished that they were traveling with me. So I took the elevator back upstairs and got a water to calm me down. Not long after the train arrived and I loaded all of my stuff on board. It's only a half hour ride so I put on some makeup and closed my eyes for a few minutes. I bought a 50% off train card before I left in December that gets me half off prices on train tickets, but I didn't have it with me since it was sent to AJY after I left. And when I bought my ticket I said that I had a card so that I could get my discount. I had my temporary card with me, but it expired so if they asked I was just going to explain the situation. But since my eyes were closed, they didn't even check my ticket! That worked out well! I got off at Mannheim and knew that my next train was leaving in five minutes so I had to hurry. I got all of my stuff off the train and then carried both of my bags down a flight of stairs and then back up the stairs to get to the platform where my train was. It was waiting and left a few minutes after I got on. I was out of breath to say the least! When i got to Heidelberg a sense of comfort came over me. I knew exactly where I was and what I was doing. I lugged my bags up two flights of stairs and then made my way to the busses. Originally my friends were going to meet me in Frankfurt, but when they found out that my flight arrived at 7 AM, they changed their minds. I'm so glad I was able to get around by myself!

I rode the bus without paying (Gasp!) and it took me directly to University Square. I hadn't gotten off at that stop since November because they closed it during the Christmas market. It felt sooo good to be back!! I set off down the street to my apartment. They were doing some remodeling of the Uni library on the corner so I left one suitcase behind while I walked under the scaffolding and put my other bag on the other side. When I went back to get the larger bag, a guy was walking it to me. How nice! Then the fun begins where I get to walk two rolling suitcases over cobblestones. Nice and loud and drew quite a bit of attention to myself. I got to my room and everything was just as I left it. Julia came and gave me a hug and within about ten minutes started her complaining about this and that. Nothing has changed! I put a few things away and then decided that I needed some sleep, badly! After about 10 minutes, I was woken up with knocks at my window. It was Maressa and Heidi!!! Of course Heidi came in through my window, but Maressa used the door. It was so great to see them! We just started talking like I'd been gone for the weekend. That's really how it feels. I honestly feel like I just took a weekend trip and now I'm back. So strange! We talked for about an hour and then I went back to sleep.

I think i slept for about four hours. I went to buy a few groceries at PennyMarkt before going over to Heidi's for dinner at 7. We made vegetables with rice and it was delicious. They made a great little salad too and we just sat there and caught up for awhile. Then we watched the movie Amelie (It's French, but we watched it in German). I fell asleep a few times, but I thought the movie was really good. I'd watch it again! After hanging out for awhile longer, I went back home to go to bed. Except that I couldn't really fall asleep. So I messed around on my computer for awhile and then went to sleep around 1.

Even though it was hard to say goodbye, now that I'm here I'm so happy and excited for this semester!

No comments: