Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Why is German so hard?

This morning in pronunciation class we worked some more on the new text we got. It's much harder than the first one and has a lot of words with r's and ch's. Those are the two most difficult sounds to make in German because there are four dfferent ways to say the r and then three for ch. And the ch can be a hard sound depending on what other letters surround it. I struggled so much with saying "fressen." Instead of rolling their r's at the front of their mouths, Germans roll r's at the back. And I kept pronouncing words that I know the pronunciation of very well...very badly! If that makes any sense! Christina, a girl from Czech Republic, always argues with the teacher's pronunciation and rolls pretty much everything she says. The teacher gets so annoyed because it's like she isn't listening. And Christina always says "aber (but)...", which really drives the teacher crazy! After trying to explain something to Christina with no avail, she said "ICH...DEUTSCH!" (I am German!) Kind of like, I am German, I know how it's supposed to be said. You are not, so you should listen to what I'm saying. It was just too funny! I also brought my computer with me to class though so that I could record my teacher reading the text. Everyone in the class (especially the Chinese girls) couldn't believe how good of an idea that was. They even asked me after class if I could make a copy for them. But I recorded it in Word, so I don't really know how to do that! Any suggestions, please share!

Heidi and I headed to PennyMarkt to pick up a few things after class. Even though it's further away than CityMarkt, it's sooo much cheaper simply because it's not on the Hauptstrasse. I restocked on water and bread and also got a little pizza for lunch. Then we went to Tschibo and I got a big Latte Macchiato Nougat! This time the clerk spoke to me completely in German and I got the size that I actually ordered. Love that drink!!! And significantly cheaper than Starbucks! Probably like 2 Euros less or something! We window shopped on our way back to AJY and thought about buying a few different sweaters, but decided we'd come back another time.

Katie Wolfe, Katie Gramlich, Heidi and I were meeting at 12 so we could go buy tickets for Der Nussknacker!!! Yep! The Nutcracker!!! It's this coming Sunday afternoon! Sooo excited!!! Maressa and a few others are coming too so it should be a lot of fun. And I think we get to dress up again, which is exciting! After we got the tickets at a Smoke Shop (who knows why they sell tickets there) near Bismarckplatz, I stopped by my favorite school supplies store and got some notecards. They have so many cool pens and such there. Two sales people asked if I needed any help finding anything, which is really rare. Usually they totally leave you alone except for saying hi. Very friendly little store!! Too bad most of the stuff is crazily expensive!

I studied for my film test for a little while when I got home. I made some notcards and read through a bunch of the information. The test is on Thursday and since I'm only here until December, it is the only test that I will take. So I HAVE to do well on it. I don't think it will be too difficult, but I really want to make sure that I'm prepared for it and that I don't wait until the last minute to study. It's a little harder (ok a ton) to cram in German!

The pizza I bought today wasn't nearly as good as the one I ate last week. Way too many onions. Killer breath afterwards!!

No comments: