Monday, November 19, 2007

Back to the Fatherland!

Makenna had class this morning so she woke us up to say goodbye right before she left. I hardly even remember it but saying goodbye wasn't a difficult thing at all since I'll be seeing her again in two weeks! So excited about that, by the way!

Heidi got up and showered before me, but I was woken up by one of Makenna's roommates Joanette. It is just unreal how disrespectful some of her roommates are! She and her mom walked in and were SO loud! The pull out bed was right there as you came in the door so it wasn't like they didn't see me sleeping there. Granted it is her apartment, but really, you don't have to walk around yelling! It was really cold the past few nights so Makenna had turned the heat on. It was a little warm in the apartment, but all Joanette could talk about was how hot it was. She flung open all of the windows and in came the wind and cold air. She even told her mom that she better get 80 Euros back at the end of the semester since the heat was on all night. Oh please. Heidi and I got ready and then headed out to the metro station. We followed the perfectly detailed directions we got from Makenna and then waited for the bus.

I think the bus came about 20 minutes late. Couldn't wait to get back to Germany because of this! It made a stop on a busy street and just as we were pulling away, a car hit us from behind. Heidi and I got pretty nervous about missing our flight. Thankfully we were in Italy and the driver just got her number and we drove off. No need for the police! We checked in really quickly (one of the great things about RyanAir!) and then grabbed a little sandwich for lunch. Not much longer and we were on the plane to Karlsruhe! We slept the majority of the flight and when I woke up there were huge mountains covered in snow below! So pretty! I realized that I left my camera at Makenna's and was so sad. I had put it in her purse the night before when we went out for gelato and forgot to take it out. Big time bummer on that one. We were so excited when we landed, but it was definitely cold! We saw a couple cute German guys and talked about how we wished we had more German friends in Heidelberg.

We waited for the bus outside that would take us directly to Heidelberg for about 20 minutes. The bus was there but the driver wasn't letting anybody on. He just sat there and smoked while we stood outside freezing. Once we got on we got all adjusted and then this guy came up and asked us if we were going to Karlsruhe. I told him that we were going to Heidelberg but that it would also take him to Karlsruhe. He asked where we were from and after that talked to us in English. We ended up talking to him for over an hour! He sat facing us the entire bus ride! His name is Friedrich and he is studying Economics and Physics at the Uni Karlsruhe. He was SO nice! We talked about all kinds of things and then he gave us his email address at the end. I thought it was funny that he gave that to us, but he said his cell phone plan had just ended so his phone wasn't working. He said if we want a tour of Karlsruhe just to send him an email! I really hope we can be friends so I'm going to email him within the next few days. Heidi and I found it so funny that we had just been talking about how we wanted German friends and then BAM! Friedrich gets on the bus! Not gonna lie though, Heidi and I were pretty giddy about this whole situation!

On our way home we stopped at PennyMarkt to pick up something for dinner. We quickly stopped by my place and then headed over to Marissa's. We got home just in time for the Bible study and brought our dinner with us. It was just us three this week, but we enjoyed catching up and then discussing the next part in John. I had a SKYPE date with Brittanie so I didn't stay too much longer after we finished. But I had really missed Marissa while we were gone! I'm so happy to be back in Heidelberg for the rest of the semester.

While we were gone they started setting up for the Christmas Markets!!! The big bus stop by my house is even being shut down to make more room for everything! On our walk to Marissa's Heidi and I saw that they are setting up an ice skating rink right under the castle! How cool! We're totatlly going to do that! Everything is starting to look Christmasy here and I can't wait for the markets to start! They'll be everyday from November 28 until Christmas! Yay!!

Brittanie and I talked for awhile and she filled me in on all of the exctiting things from Formal. It sounds like they all had a really good time. I kind of wish that I could have been there too, but I have to say that Rome was pretty great too! Jessica even came down for a bit and the three of us got to talk for awhile. I just love them so much!!

No comments: